When parents, grandparents and children cultivate traditions that are meaningful to them, and then repeat these traditions, the family is strenghtened. Through traditions, you reinforce the connection of the family. You give a feeling of belonging, of being supported, or being understood. You are committed to each other. You are a part of something that is greater than yourself. - Sandra Merrill Covey.
Family traditions have been a very important part of my family. I look forward when we gather for the annual York halloween parade, Christmas, Memorial day, July 4th and Labor day picnics. With the pasting of our parents, my siblings (June, Clara, Joyce, John, sharon and myself), continue today with these family traditions. I deeply feel that by keeping up with these yearly traditions, it has strongly strenghten the relationships within our families.
So what about the winter blues? Two of my sisters (Clara and Sharon), came up with a brillant idea of having the winter blues soup gathering. This gives the family the opportunity to get together during the winter season and forget about the winter blahs. We have three to four types of soup, finger sandwhiches, and dessert. (you MUST have dessert). This year will be the third season and we all are looking forward to the gathering.
On March 1st, we will be having a combine soup social and farewell for Cody with family. Even thou I am excited about Cody's decision to do the Lords Work, I am starting to realize that he will be gone for two years. I will be planning a farewell for Cody for our friends in the Hanover Area. (Looking at Saturday before he leaves).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Winter soup blues gathering? I LOVE that idea!! Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDelete